Museums Galleries Scotland Traineeship
Programme & Engagement Trainee
The Museums Galleries Scotland Skills for Success learning programme will give 22 non graduate learners the skills and experience to have a successful museum career. Museums Galleries Scotland have the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund to deliver this programme
This management level Trainee will join the Pier Arts Centre’s team at an exciting time as plans begin for the fortieth anniversary celebrations due to take place throughout 2019. The Trainee will have the opportunity to be involved in planning, delivery and promotion of programme, events and activities. The collection will be central to the celebrations, with the Trainee playing a key role in taking forward specific projects relating to the anniversary year’s events, gaining a very full and rounded experience of gallery and museum practice while based at the Pier Arts Centre.
Each management level learner will:
· Spend one year on placement at a host museum
· Undertake an SVQ3 Museums & Galleries Practice
· Undertake an ILM accredited leadership programme (SCQF level 9)
· Have access to a bespoke training programme - 10 one day courses in subjects
including project planning, working with communities and collections care.
· Receive a £15,000 tax-free bursary
We are looking for people with the following qualities:
· Conscientious, positive attitude, self-motivated, flexible, persistent, curious, creative, has the ability to learn, has the ability to collaborate
· You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
· National 4 in English and Maths or equivalent experience or equivalent SCQF qualification
· Transferable skills gained from volunteering, school activities, participating in clubs, interests, etc.
· A desire to work in museums and some demonstrated interest in the sector
· Good communication skills
· Good interpersonal skills / working in a team
· Managing own activities
· 2-3 years experience in a management or supervisory role.
There are two rounds to the application process.
The first round is a short application form and a video submission. The closing date for first round applications is 30 May 2018 at 09.00 a.m.
Please read our full Applicant Guidance document before completing your application form – download all information at https://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk/jobs/skills-for-success-learning-placements/
Once you are ready to apply, complete the online form here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/MGSskillsforsuccess
For the second round, shortlisted candidates will then be invited to an assessment event at the Pier Arts Centre, Orkney on 20 June 2018
For full details of the placement go to https://www.museumsgalleriesscotland.org.uk/jobs/skills-for-success-learning-placements/
Please contact John Campbell on 0131 550 4131 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to discuss whether you would meet this requirement before submitting an application.
Closing date: 9.00am Wednesday 30 May 2018